Anyway, I use chia seeds a lot in my daily smoothies, and recently was contacted by Running Food to do a review and giveaway of their products. One of the coolest things about this company is that they are just down the road from me in Skaneateles, New York, where Kel and I got married. I love supporting local companies, especially when they have great products to offer.
I got a ginormous box of chia goodness from Running Food last week. Their specialty product is micro-milled chia. Their are a ton of uses for micro-milled chia besides amping of the nutrition level of your smoothie. One thing I did not know about micro-milled chia is that you can use it as a gluten-free flour. You can also use chia gel (which is just chia seeds and water) as an egg replacement, which is great for vegan cooking. I'm still just starting to explore my Running Food options.
Some of the health benefits of Running Food are:
- The most amounts of Omega 3's, 6's and 9's commercially available plus it has a good ration that is needed between 3's and 6's;
- Has 5x more calcium than whole milk (!)
- 20x more magnesium than broccoli
- more dietary fiber than flax
- unlike flax, has a shelf life of up to 2 years with no special storage needed
- a complete protein (great for vegans/vegetarians)
- a good source of protein
- absorbs 9 times its weight in water which helps keep athletes hydrated and in turn keeps your balance of electrolytes and keeps a person feeling full longer.
Now, I'm not going to tell you that in the time I have been using chia, which has been about a year, I have more energy or lost a ton of weight. I'm sure some people might have this happen and that is fantastic. What I am going to tell you is that Running Food is good for you. It is providing nutrients to your body that it needs to perform at top level. So what if I don't notice a difference. Does that mean it's not working??? NO!! I aim to put the best quality of foods into my body that I can, and chia is definitely up there in that category.
So, because Running Food sent me such a generous package, there will be two winners (chosen randomly) for this giveaway. Here's what you get: 1 16 oz. bag of Running Food Whole Chia Seed and 4 2.5 oz bags of Running Food Micro-Milled Chia Seed. I also have a great Running Food T-Shirt I will throw in for the first place winner.
Here's what you need to do to enter. Please leave a comment for each entry.
1. Like Running Food on Facebook. (Mandatory)
2. Become a follower of this blog. (Mandatory)
Optional entries. Leave a comment for each additional entry.
3. Follow Running Food on Twitter.
4. Follow me (@trimommykelly) on Twitter.
5. Tweet, facebook or blog about this giveaway.
I will randomly choose a winner on Friday, December 24.