Can I just say that that number is shocking to me. Granted, I have been a fruit and veggie fiend since the start of my personal nutrition challenge, but still! What is going on in our country?
Just to compare, I looked up some other random facts.
- Only 26% of Americans eat enough fruits and veggies, but of married couples, 70% of men and 60% of women have cheated on their spouse. Really? Too much cheating on the partner to eat right, I guess.
- On average, 749 pounds of paper products is used by an American individual annually. Are we eating paper because we sure do go through a lot of it.
- Americans eat 45 million turkeys at Thanksgiving each year. You'd think that with all the turkey eating we'd get some veggies in too.
- One third of Americans get 47 percent of their calories from junk foods. Now we are getting to the good stuff. So here is 33% of the population eating junk almost half the time, plus 26% eating good stuff every day, that still leaves 41%. What are those people doing?
- In real dollars, the price of fresh fruits and vegetables has risen nearly 40 percent since 1985. This is very sad to me. I heard a piece on the radio the other day about the propsed soda tax in California, and one of the things brought up was the fact that nutritious food is so much more expensive than junk food. And we wonder why our health care system is in trouble.
- 25 percent of the bones in your body are in your feet. I was just surprised by this fact...it seems like a lot of bones, yet 26% doesn't seem like very many people eating fruits and veggies...maybe this whole post doesn't make any sense at all...yeah, that's pretty much true for all of my ramblings!!